Not only does she have the body of a goddess, Mercy Johnson-Okojie also has the mind of a superwoman.
She is a proof that you can indeed have it all; a wife, mother and a successful career.
Mama Purity as she likes to call herself is a famous Nigerian actress, philanthropist and entertainer.
1. She was born in Lagos on August 28, 1984 to a Naval father, Daniel Johnson and a trader mother, Elizabeth Johnson, both from Kogi State.
2. Mercy is the fourth of seven children, having three elder sisters and three younger brothers, which influenced her to act like a tomboy. While growing up, she had to do menial jobs like hawking pure water and serving as househelps to assist her impoverished family.
3. Mercy whose middle name, Ozioma, means; a girl with good luck was fortunate to land her first acting role in 2003 as the lead actress in the movie – The Maid (where she earned N50,000) after failing her first JAMB examination. The movie, which shot her to stardom was to be the first of many to come and till date, she has starred in over 150 Nollywood movies.
Later, she went in to study English in Lagos State University (LASU), but had to drop out in her second year due to financial constraint.
4. Johnson got inspired to act after watching Genevieve Nani’s in ‘Sharon Stone’ and that dream was to open doors for her.
During an interview, she said: Sometimes when I cry in movies, it isn’t the script that makes me cry. When I recall my humble beginning, I give thanks to God. When I remember how we moved into an uncompleted building and had to take cover whenever it rained because of the condition of the house; how my brother did a menial job as a bricklayer to earn a living and those days when we rolled over a stick to cover the windows up till the point when I started acting and raised money to cover the roof. I recall those days we were living with lizards because the floor and the walls of the house were not plastered, or when I had scars as a result of my several falls.
5. With a net worth of over 55 million naira, she paved her way to be the 5th richest actress in Nigeria and currently charges between 1.8 million to 2 million per movie role.
6. In August 2011, Mercy Johnson got married to Prince Odianosen Okojie whom she met in 2008 and together, they have three children whom she holds dearly; Purity (5), Henry (3) and Angel (2). In a chat with Pulseng, she described her husband as her favourite mentor and hero. I think for now and forever, my favourite mentor or hero will always be my husband.
7. Mercy Johnson-Okojie who was the most searched celebrity in Nollywood for 2011 and 2012 faced a ban from acting 2013 due to her high charges which was later lifted off in 2014. She also has won several awards under her belt for being one of the best in the Nollywood industry.
8. Mercy has a number of endorsement deals to her name, the most prominent one being an ambassador for Globacom Nigeria. She was also appointed as the senior special assistant to the Kogi state governor, Yahaya Bello on Entertainment, Arts and Culture in March, 2017.
9. Her flair for giving birthed the Mercy Johnson Foundation; a foundation for widows and children where she donates livelihood materials to them.
Mercy Johnson-Okojie’s whose phobia is going back to having nothing has put many things in place for that not to happen by being ontop of her game and staying relevant. She never allowed her background to dictate her future and neither should you too, instead it should motivate you to dream big, be better and accomplish everything because the world is there for your taking.
Let us celebrate our gorgeous woman crush!