Some people call her the original Super woman, others call her the King woman and Forbes named her Africa’s most successful woman. Ladies and gentlemen, today we are crushing on the legend that is Mosunmola Abudu.
The popular media mogul who celebrated her birthday two days ago is a talk show host, TV/movie producer, media personality, human resources consultant, entrepreneur, a venture capitlist and a philantropist.
Besides the above, here are other amazing things you should know about her.
1) Mo, as she is fondly called was born on September 11, 1964 to Mr and Mrs Lawrence Akintunde in the United Kingdom.
2) She is the eldest of three sisters and hails from Ondo state. Resides in Lagos.
3) She relocated to Nigeria at the age of 7 to stay with her grandparents inorder to learn about the African culture and after a while, she moved back to the UK at the age of 11 when she lost her father.
4) After her education, the TV goddess began her professional career as a Recruitment Consultant in 1987 with Atlas Recruitment Consultancy firm in the UK and rose to the Branch Manager position within a few years. She also worked with another major company, Starform Group from 1990 – 1992.
5) Upon her return to Nigeria in 1993, Mo worked as the Head of Human Resources and Training for ExxonMobil for a decade before she left to start her company, Victor Lawrence & Associates Ltd (VLA) which later gave birth to other ventures for her.
6) She started a talk show, Moments with Mo which earned her the title, African Oprah Winfrey. She featured top people on the show including Hilary Clinton, Goodluck Jonathan, Muhammadu Buhari, Olusegun Obasanjo, Bola Tinubu, General Ibrahim Babangida, Prof. Wole Soyinka among others.
7) Mo was once married to Tokunbo Abudu and the two still maintain a friendly relationship till date.
8) The union produced two children; Temidayo and Kojo Abudu.
9) Mo went into labour on her birthday 27 years ago and delivered her first child, a baby girl few hours into the next day. So mother and daughter birthdays are a day apart. Temidayo is also a filmmaker.
10) Asides all this, Mo is the first woman to own a TV station, Ebonylife TV in Africa which she launched in July 1, 2013. Needless mentioning how wealthy she is, because she really is.
11) In 2014, Abudu ventured into filmmaking. She produced Fifty which has now been turned into a TV series via her production company, Ebonylife Films. And in 2016, she co-produced The Wedding Party movie whose sequel is scheduled for December this year. Her latest movie, The Royal Hibiscus Hotel premiered last weekend at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).
12) Mo, who recently completed an intensive 3-week course for directors at the London Film school is reportedly the co-owner of Protea Hotel, Oakwood Park in Lagos, a 5-star hotel which is no doubt one of the best Proteas in the country.
13) She runs a foundation called Inspire Africa and was featured on Forbes in 2013 as the ‘First African Woman to launch a Pan-Africa TV channel’ amongst other notable excellence awards.
According to Mo, the secret of her enviable success is attributed God. She said on her Twitter page in March 2017, Every single thing I have done, I put him first.
The story of Nigeria’s media evolution cannot be complete without mentioning this Super woman.
Weldone Mo Abudu, keep setting the pace!
Photo credits: Mo and Temidayo Abudu.