She is not just Mavins first lady, Tiwa Savage is also the first lady of the Nigerian music industry.
Slated to be the most successful female musician in Nigeria and listed amongst the top 25 most influential women in Nigeria, Tiwa keeps setting the pace for others to follow.
She is a singer, songwriter, performer and actress. Let’s not forget a mother and a wife.
And because she’s so amazing and a definition of a non-stop super woman, we have compiled 12 things we want you to know about her. Read below:
1. Tiwatope Savage-Balogun was born on 5 February 1980, in Ikeja, the capital of Lagos State but her family relocated to London when she was 11 years old.
2. While attending high school, she was a trombone player for her school’s orchestra band and at the young age of 16, she did backup vocals for George Michael.
3. Her parents were initially hesitant about her decision to pursue music, so to quell their fears she decided to study Business Administration at the University of Kent and later Berklee College of Music to chase her passion graduating with a degree in professional music at the age of 27.
4. After her graduation, Tiwa needed money to launch her musical career, so she was forced to get a day job as a trainee accountant at The Royal Bank of Scotland. – a job she quit as she fell into a depressive state after getting ‘tired of counting other people’s money’ and wanting to make hers.
5. In 2006, Savage participated in the UK edition of The X Factor and only advanced to the final 24.
6. Before launching her career with Donjazzy’s Mavins Record in 2012, she was a professional backup singer, having lent vocals to Mary J. Blige, Chaka Khan, Blu Cantrell, Emma Bunton, Kelly Clarkson, Andrea Bocelli, Ms. Dynamite, BabyFace, Kat Deluna, Fantasia Barrino, Monica and Mary. She has also performed on stage with Sting, 50 Cent, The Black Eyed Peas, Eminem, Robbie Williams, Destiny’s Child, and performed background vocals on Whitney Houston’s 2009 album I Look to You.
7. Shortly after the release of her debut album ‘Once Upon a Time’ in July 2013, Tiwa Savage married her then manager, Tunji “Tee Billz” Balogun in a traditional ceremony at the Ark in Lekki, Lagos in November 2013 while their white wedding was held on 26 April 2014, at the Armani Hotel in Dubai.
She revealed that she and TeeBillz fought on their wedding day:
So we just had this little tiff outside and we are like arguing and everyone is like ‘welcome the beautiful bride and the groom and we are dancing in and he’s just like grumbling and it’s on camera. So everyone watching are like ‘Wait where you guys just arguing so it’s real but there are cute moments and real moments.
8. In July 2015, the couple welcomed their first child, Jamil Balogun. The birth which Tiwa described as the best thing to ever happen to her.
Every time I think of that little man, it’s a mixture of emotions. I’m happy, blessed but sometimes I’m also a little scared. He’s so precious.
9. Tiwa Savage currently has a songwriting deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing. She also signed a management and publishing deal with Jay Z’s Roc Nation in June 2016, making her the first Nigerian artist to be signed to the label.
10. With massive endorsement deals from MTN Nigeria, Forte Oil, Maggi, Pampers, Pepsi and Mega growth, the 37-year old has been involved in many youth empowerment and breast cancer screening projects across Nigeria. She also helped raise money for an organisation that build schools in her hometown.
11. Tiwa Savage, who is the first African female artist to be associated with the Pepsi brand made her first US performance during the 2014 BET “Music Around The Globe” showcase.
12. As well as hoping to open a music school in Nigeria, Savage isn’t just aiming to be one of Nigeria’s biggest popstars, she wants to make her mark on the world.
Before I used to work hard, now there’s a reason. I want to leave a legacy. I don’t want to be remembered as one of the biggest female artists out of Africa, I just want to be remembered as one of the biggest artists period.
Needless to say that she is already making her way there after she was listed by BBC in their recent report among the top 100 most innovative and inspirational women in the world.
Can you beat that!