We love Timi Dakolo, don’t we all?! His powerful voice, the rich baritone is compared to none with his excellent delivery in all his songs.
Timi is a contemporary Nigerian singer, whose sound is very unique and has a wide array of fans who love him very much.
Despite the fact that he grew up in a house where education was a priority, the only way he could explore his musical talent then was through a choir as with most people but not without first going to school and getting good grades.
Timi once said: I had a friend who told me that DSTV was hosting a competition and that I should enter and I ended up winning.
The rest, they say is history.
However, here are things you didn’t know about him:
1. Timi was born in January 20, 1981 in Accra, Ghana to a Nigerian father, Bayelsa-native David and a Ghanaian mother, Norah. Although, he doesn’t claim dual citizenship.
2. He lost his mother when he was 13 and had to relocate to Port Harcourt where his grandmother, Ateni Dakolo and aunt, Susan Larry took up the responsibility of raising him up. Timi had a deep relationship with his grandmother and credits her as his early music teacher.
3. Timi Dakolo started singing in church at the age of 12. In 2003, he joined the singing group Purple Love as a founding member. They dominated the Port Harcourt club circuit, but disbanded in 2005 as all its members gained admission into the University of Port Harcourt. Around that same period, Timi won a local talent hunt contest G.E FACTO held in Port Harcourt.
4. Being a student of Communication Studies in the University of Port Harcourt, Timi Dakolo auditioned for the inaugural season of Idols West Africa in 2007 and emerged winner which got him a recording contract with Sony BMG, in addition to other prizes.
5. On January 1, 2008, Timi Dakolo was shot at the Presidential Hotel lobby in Port Harcourt. He had gone to the hotel to attend a church service in the company of his friends. Although, the attack was a random act of violence by a faction of Niger Delta militants and did not target Timi. Luckily, he escaped with a flesh wound.
6. He met the beautiful Busola Dakolo (nee Amupitan) after a church function in 2010 and two years later, the duo who already had a son got married in a close knit ceremony in Illorin, Kwara state. The couple have three kids together; Alex, Hallel and Zoe whom he all refers to as his ‘Yard people’. Lol.
7. Amongst his many achievements, Timi is also the one of the judges on The Voice Nigeria, a singing competition reality show, alongside Patoranking, Waje and Yemi Alade.
8. Timi Dakolo who released his first single comprising three songs in October 2009 and has only one album to his name said he doesn’t just release song because everyone is doing so. In an interview with Punch, he said:
I do not release songs because everybody is releasing songs. I release songs because I see it as a perfect timing. Once it is time and you have the song you, will know that the time is now. I released the song because I felt I wanted to tell a story. At a point in time I looked at my life and said that I have come a mighty long way. I have come from how I was struggling to even get transport fare to come to this Lagos. A lot of people were calling me and asking, what is your plan? What is your passion? I had to put all those things in a song to say it. Somebody could be a successful banker but may not be fulfilled inside. I don’t think success is money; that is my school of thought, it is what gives you contentment.
9. Currently signed with Lone Records/Now Muzik, Timi Dakolo never fails to thank God for bringing him this far and changing his story.
One time, he shared the above photo of his former neighbourhood where he grew up and wrote:
IT WASN’T ALWAYS LIKE THIS… ONCE UPON A TIME IT WAS THE OVERSIZE SHOE… SO YOU WOULD GROW INTO IT… THE “NO FOOD THIS EVENING…” THE MOSQUITO WAR AT NIGHT… THE “GO HOME YOU HAVEN’T PAID SCHOOL FEES…” THE “JUST MANAGE FOOD GO DEY WHEN YOU COME BACK FROM SCHOOL…” THE CONSTANT DODGING OF THE LANDLORD.. THE “NO CHRISTMAS DRESS THIS YEAR…” THE HUSTLE TO MEET UP WAEC FEE BEFORE DEADLINE… THE SANITATION FEE… THE “NO WORRY MY PIKIN E GO BETTER…” IN ALL I HAD THE MOST BEAUTIFUL FAMILY… AWESOME UNCLES AND AUNTIES… GREAT COUSINS AND FRIENDS… THE HOUSE ON MY PICTURE WAS HOME FOR LIKE 15 YEARS… SHA SHA, WE ENJOYED NO. 15 “CHRIST APOSTOLIC STREET…” MILE 3 DIOBU, PORT HARCOURT… THIS PICTURE SHOWS THERE IS A GOD… AND HE IS INTERESTED IN YOUR MATTER…
For this father of three, after God, the next best thing to the secret of his success is hardwork and his ever supportive family.
Be inspired people! Let’s celebrate our man crush!